Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Plans?

We Snyder's have had a challenging week. As I sit here tonight, I'm reminded of the phrase, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans."

Let's just start at the beginning of the week.

I worked Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights at the hospital...which is a challenge all in itself, because there's no normalacy at our house for three straight days. Love Toby to death, but by Wednesday morning when I get home, there are three nights worth of dishes that need to be done, laundry that needs sorted and started, and I can rarely make myself turn my head and go straight to bed.

So, Wednesday was actually one of those rare days that I was heading straight to bed when I got home, because my allergies had been in high gear, and even with medication, I was just BEAT! But, at 7:45--as I was laying my head on the pillow--the tax lady calls with questions that I can't answer off the top of my head. So much for sleep...I got up and researched all of our financial records to find the things she needed, but by this time, it was after 10, and I had gotten my second wind. There was no turning my head on the dishes and laundry then! I was cleaning as if company was coming in an hour! (I know you all know the frantic cleaning mode) Let's just say that by Wednesday night, there was nothing stopping me from sleep!

Thursday was tax day, and it was also my little cousin Braden's foot surgery day that he'd been worrying about for weeks. Toby and I had planned to meet in Greensburg with our tax lady to sign all the forms, and then I would head to Pratt to do a Wal-Mart run and stop in to see Braden. Yeah right. The tax lady was only going to be in Greensburg from 9-12 that morning, so it was important that we got there between those hours. No problem, right? Well, Toby had to haul a load of cattle first thing that morning, so I figured while he was doing that, I could sleep in a little, shower and get ready, and then he'd be back and we could go. It got to be about 11, and I was starting to get the mad face. (I know you all know this one too...the "where on earth are you?!?") Cattle rarely behave as you plan, so we rolled in to the tax office about 11:40, hoping they didn't need to talk much, and we could sign and go. Well, yes....that's how it was....except after we signed and got in the car, Toby was now having to control his hormonal, emotional, blubbering, "we don't have THAT kind of money," "I thought we were getting AHEAD," "we're having a BABY--and those are expensive," wife. Long story short, we headed back to Coldwater to the bank. I didn't get to Pratt until 4, had to shop quickly, and only had time for a quick stop to see Braden.

Saturday I spent the afternoon helping Kelly at her shop with Prom hair, and helping get Kiah ready for Prom that evening.

And now it was time to go back to work again. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights again. Yesterday I came to work and got the letter I had been waiting to read. "No, there are no available day shift positions for after you come back from maternity leave in September." Toby and I have decided that with a newborn baby, a cowboy, and a nurse, night shifts just aren't going to be feasible for us. So now what? We'll see.

So now I'm pondering all the "plans" that we make and try to make that are never really "plans" in God's eyes, because I sure had a lot of them in the last week that never came to be....

4 comments:

  1. =-( I'm sorry. I would tell you to crack open a cold beer and put your feet up, but....! I hate weeks like this. Hang in there. Things only happen the way they are suppose to for a reason. We just can't see the end result yet! Get some sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chin up Megan!! I promise we have ALL had weeks like this and while it doesn't appear to be working out right now, it will! The worst week of my life was when Jeremy sat me down {after having been gone for a weekend with two kids by myself} and told me that he was not going to have a job anymore...which also meant we weren't going to have a place to live. It was VERY difficult to see the silver lining or to even think how things would possibly work themselves out. But, it did work out and the result was even BETTER than I ever could have imagined!! God's plans for us are ALWAYS better than the plans we have for ourselves...you will soon see the blessings He has in store for you, Toby & baby Snyder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had some great advice!! But it is ALWAYS nice to be able to blow off steam to friends who will understand! And I totally hear your pain about shift work and babies!! Keep asking God and He will show you--He always does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was sure a lot for one week. I have confidence that things will work out for the best for you all - I, too, believe God has better plans than we can make. :) It's the waiting part, or not seeing "how," that's difficult! It sure builds your trust.

    On a "slightly humorous" note, I could sure relate to the various things you were describing! "Been there ... done that ... "

    Best wishes for a better week. :)

    ReplyDelete