Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dang ole' Holler man

To realize the significance of a month, ask someone grieving a lost loved one.



One month ago today, a remarkable man tragically lost his life.

I often wonder why God takes young people who have so much life still ahead of them. What is it that God needs that loving husband, dad, son, brother, cousin, uncle, friend...for that He thinks it outweighs our need for him here? My heart still breaks everyday for Boyd's girls, and I still wish he could have been here to see all the things his girls will do, but I've also been thinking of all the things Boyd did get to see. He got to marry the girl of his dreams, and be there to watch each of his girls come into this world. He got to watch each one of them reach important, and not so important milestones in their lives. He got to know each girl's spirit, and he got to watch them grow. He got to surprise his girls, and hear their laughter. He got to spend each of his days surrounded by people who loved him. That wife of his, she was his best friend. What an awesome life to have!


I also think of all the different meanings Boyd had to different people. To me, he was "Uncle Boyd." That guy who would play a prank on you any time he could get you. When I was little, it was his dog who ate my flip flop. He was those "dang ole' Holler girls' dad." He was my dad's best bud.


The spirit of Boyd was shown the day of his funeral. That funeral was the largest ever held at that church. Boyd was "something" to each and every person in that church, and every "something" was important. It helped make him who he was, an incredible man; a man who I hope no one will ever forget.


I believe your heart hurts the most when everyone else has moved on, and when they think you'll be okay, so please say a prayer for those mourning Boyd.

4 comments:

  1. Ole Boyd. .just had to love him!! If you have never heard the song "Blessings" by Laura Story ..go to youtube and find it to hear. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard!! The lyrics gave me a whole new outlook on things when it came out several months ago! We'll miss him tons. .and those women will be in a lot of prayers for sure over the next few years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to a man so loved & so missed by so many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I didn't know Boyd personally, I was sorry to hear about this when it happened. So glad that when it comes to our loved ones, we have hope as well as memories that no one can take away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written! Not a day goes by that we don't think of Becky missing Boyd or how "our Holler girls" are getting along. Some days it just hits me that he is really gone. It is hard to believe that when Joe is laughing about a funny text/call, it isn't from Boyd or that Becky's heart is so broken or that our #1 babysitter's will miss their Daddy forever. Those 3 girls are everything I want my 3 girls to be and more. When we found out #3 was a girl, I imagined Joe and Boyd sharing stories about their 3 girly farm hands. He is so missed!!!

    ReplyDelete