Thursday morning, we packed the car and headed out for Tulsa, in hopes of seeing some sharks, sea turtles, and fish at the Oklahoma Aquarium. My Aunt Kelly loaned us her DVD player for the long car ride, and let me tell you--it saved us! Jackson spent the majority of the trip watching Cat in the Hat. I can do annoying-movie-in-the-background, but I'm not so good with screaming-child-in-the-background for too long. While cool, dark, and fun to observe, the aquarium was packed full of children on Thursday afternoon. It was this afternoon that Toby and I got an ample dose of "we really are parents, and we're on a family vacation" as we pushed our way through hundreds of excited, screaming children so that we could get Jackson close enough to see the tanks.


Jackson wasn't too sure about the big fish at first, but he warmed up rather quickly.
We even got to meet Dory and Nemo...or Nemo(s), I guess you could say.
We made time after the aquarium for a quick Mexican meal and a cold drink, and trekked on to OKC for a relaxing evening at the hotel and some swimming for Jackson! Friday morning we got up and headed out for the zoo...in hopes of beating the heat. Okay, I'm lying. We had no hopes of beating the heat entirely, but we did want to get there before the hottest part of the day.


The zoo has a new elephant exhibit, complete with a baby elephant. The baby was running everywhere and trumpeting. I do have to admit that I've never heard an actual elephant trumpet!
And this is how we all felt by the time we got done with the zoo.
A boat ride through the Bricktown Canal Friday night.

Not sure if it was the atmosphere, or the fact that it was 120 degrees during this boat ride, but the frozen margarita I enjoyed post-boat was fantastic.

Saturday night, we stayed here. This gorgeous home is owned by my family's forever-friends, Roger and Kate. They have been like grandparents to me my entire life, and it was so good to see them in their neck of the woods! They built this house about 6 1/2 years ago, and I had never been to see it!

These photos are for my friend Sara @ http://sohappytogetherforever.blogspot.com/ and I. I foresee some stained concrete floors in my future...hopefully sooner than later!

Beautiful home and great people! We backroaded it on our trip home and saw some parts of Oklahoma that we'd never seen before, and stopped off at my brother and sister-in-law's house for a quick diaper change and crawl around stop. Finally, we made it home, and man, we were glad to be there! Vacation is wonderful, but I have a new theory. Sometimes that feeling you are searching for by getting away for vacation, you often find in that blissful moment you arrive home.
I didn't know they had an aquarium in Tulsa. .did they have penguins?? I would have loved it myself!! Gorgeous house too! Love the floors. .glad you guys got the opportunity to take your FIRST family vacation!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good trip! That was interesting about the "shark tunnel" and the little elephant trumpeting. I hear you about "returning home" ... it's good to get away, but it's good to get back home again, too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for those pictures. Kelly has told me all about this house and I would love to see it in person. There are so many decisions to make!! We are going to do a stamped, stained concrete on our back porch/deck. I am really excited about it. Glad you had a great get-away!
ReplyDeleteAh, this sounds like such a fun trip! Even though I live in Stillwater, I still absolutely LOVE going over to Tulsa and OKC--even planning some trips to these places next week for some back-to-college shopping =D Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteSTUNNING house, by the way... Love it!