Wednesday, November 24, 2010

We're going on a road trip!

We're heading out early tomorrow morning, after Jackson wakes up for his 5 AM feeding, for Branson! Our family decided to spend Thanksgiving there after Grandpa died, so we cashed in Grandma and Grandpa's time share and we're all having a Thanksgiving vacation! Is it weird that I'm excited to spend 8 hours in the car with Toby? It just seems like we hardly have any time to just chat...so I'm looking forward to that! Hopefully there's some of this from the little guy!



As the holidays near, I'm feeling the enormous losses my family has endured this year. I'm trying to make out my Christmas card/pictures list, and I've had to cross off names that I didn't think I'd have to this year. I know this is the best year of my life--I mean, come on, my SON was born! But, it's also been the worst year of my life so far. The phrase, "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it" comes to my mind. I miss my Grandpa Kenny so much. I'm going to miss him bringing me little gifts to wrap on Christmas Eve. As we sat at my Mom and Dad's table last week, I realized that he's not going to be sitting in his "spot" at the foot of the table this year. He's not going to be snoring so loud for the whole house to hear. He's not going to give the newest gadgets to the guys and the best jewelry to the girls. He's just not here...and I hate it.



And Grandma Betty isn't here either. She's not here for me to ask questions about the ranch bookwork. She's not here to make us all holiday candies and breads. Last Christmas, I froze some of the chocolate candies she makes...and boy am I glad I did. Not that I'll be able to eat them, but knowing they're in my freezer gives me some comfort. After we all divided up her things, I ended up with so many things in my home that just ARE Grandma Betty. It's so wonderful. Every time I make toast...it takes me back to Grandma and Granddad's house, that same toaster, apricot preserves, coffee on, and that "morning" smell. Oh, how I miss her.


................Ok, so on a happier note............
Here's a few sweet boy pictures from my new camera.



4 comments:

  1. And don't forget the "loss" of Grandma Nancy--I know that has not been easy either!! Praying you guys strength and comfort at these difficult times!! Great idea to change up your old traditions though, and I hope you guys enjoy your trip to Branson this week!! Are you lovin' that camera??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mel...just wasn't in the mood to go there too. That's a whole 'nother post. Thanks for the prayers.

    Loving the new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I hope you and your family have a great trip to Branson! I know that has to be terribly hard to miss your loved ones. I sure hope the blessings will balance out the sorrows. Your son is so cute and is growing so fast! Happy Thanksgiving to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackson is getting so big!! Isn't is amazing how much sharper your new camera is? Once you go DSLR you will never go back, LOL! I will look forward to seeing some pictures from your trip.

    ReplyDelete