Sunday, May 12, 2013

Storms

We had some severe storm warnings on Wednesday evening around these parts...and we ended up one shed less than we started with Wednesday morning. I had gotten sick with a stomach bug while picking up Jackson from daycare that afternoon, so my wonderful momma came over to watch little man while I caught a nap. We knew there were storms moving this way, but it all appeared to be south of us, so we didn't worry about it too much. Plus, we have a scanner here, and none of the county firemen were in our neck of the woods, so I figured we were safe. Then...I heard a loud noise and my mom came running in my room hollering at me to get to the basement! I quickly looked out the window and saw pretty clear skies and only a few sprinkles coming down...so I thought she had lost it. I did go downstairs where she was telling me (in a panic) that our shed was gone. She said she had been standing by the back door looking out, and saw the shed & panels dangling from the sky! There were no tornados...but it must've been some serious wind to rip poles up out of the ground and throw a shed to the west when the storm was moving east! We were then left with a nice hole in the fence our horses are kept in, so Toby got to come home and build some quick makeshift fence. This shed was here before we built the house, and we put up another smaller shed to the west of it for our tack and tools. There was a little damage to my car and to the new shed as well. Empty feed sacks, cardboard boxes, plastic flower pots, and a plastic water table stayed completely still while the shed blew away.  



Although we didn't get any rain out of that particular storm that rolled through, we were fortunate to catch a little from the next round that moved through later that night. We still need a good share though...

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! Glad it wasn't your house!! i've heard them talk about microbursts before. .similar to a tornado.. but not ;-) Glad everyone was ok!

    ReplyDelete