Saturday, June 26, 2010

A week

Yesterday marked a week since we buried my Grandpa Kenny. A week. Everyday since, I've been trying to understand it. In the few days after his death, there were so many kind people,so many phone calls, and so many distractions that it was hard to really think about what had happened. But in this last week, I've had time with my thoughts. My heart is heavy.

I know I've posted before about the lyrics to this song, but my mind keeps going back to it, especially now. I can only imagine the joy my Gramps is feeling now. He's in a better place than he's ever known...

Their hearts are heavy with their loss
As the tears fall from their eyes
There's one who'll always sympathise.
God only cries for the living
Because it's the living that are left to carry on
And all the angels up in Heaven
They're not grieving because they're gone
There's a smile on their faces
Because they're in a better place than they've ever known
God only cries for the living
Because it's the living that are so far from home.
It still makes me sad
When I think of my Grand-dad
I miss him each and every day
But I know the time will come
When my own grandson
Wonders why I went away
Maybe we're not meant to understand
Till we meet up in the Promised Land.
People always say, "time heals all wounds," and I'm sure one day it will, but right now, time is only leaving me more lonely as I try to sort through my thoughts. I wasn't expecting to see his picture and obituary in the newspaper as I quickly flipped through yesterday, and when I saw it, I had to close it. It doesn't mean that it isn't real, and that it didn't happen, but his smile caught me off guard. I've seen that smile so many times, and I'll always remember it.
How he would've loved our little boy. He would've made certain that little guy had all the John Deere toys he wanted! Grandpa always commented on my growing belly, and always told me how fabulous I looked. He was so excited to be a Great-Grandpa, and he couldn't wait for the baby to get big enough to come stay with Gram and him while Toby and I went on a date to the Hardesty House.
This baby will someday know how lucky he is to have so many loved ones in Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you. This is a testimony that you loved him, and he loved you. Even in such a sad time, that's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete