All my life, I've loved October. I love the feel of October...the leaves changing, the cooler temperatures, the beautiful colors all around, the cattle work days we got to stay home from school to help Dad, and more recently the cool mornings that I got to saddle up with Toby and head out to whoever's place we were working that day. But then...that rancher and I had babies. I don't love long October days when we don't get to see our Daddy but for maybe 30 minutes in the evening...if we get to see him at all before bedtime. And I don't much like it when his normal Sunday afternoon off is spent shipping calves for the Monday morning sales. Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for that cowboy's work ethic and his hard work to make a buck. I just never before had to tell a 3 year old, "I know you want to play with Daddy...he'll be home sometime..." SO--I am very thankful that it is now November, the time has changed...so it is dark at 6:00 PM, and his booked up days are getting a little less. We sure missed him around these parts! It just so happened that my maternity leave from work fell in October. Bummer!
We are missing the World Championship Ranch Rodeo this weekend, and man are we missing the fun! I hate seeing all the pictures of the action show up on my Facebook newsfeed! We just didn't figure we could swing the trip with a month old baby, and it being my last weekend at home before starting back to work on Monday.
Reed is growing like a weed, and he's already wearing 3 month clothes (at 5 weeks old). He's beginning to coo and smile at us when we talk to him. I'm certain that he cringes every time he hears his big brother coming close! Jackson may still be a little rough at times...even though he claims he's "just playing, Mom!"
I had an all-nighter with Reed last week and was feeling a little testy later that morning when Jackson was challenging everything I wanted him to do. Under his breath, he whispered, "Somebody must be a grouch today..." When I asked him what he said, he quickly replied, "Nothing!!" That'll make ya laugh for sure! My sweet big boy...
Please say some prayers for my heart and our new schedule as I start back to work on Monday. I love being home with my boys, but I was once called to be a nurse, and my heart has been missing that aspect of my life as well. I hope our new routine will quickly fall into place, and there aren't too many tears shed!
Kolby Reid
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment