Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter! This morning I found myself nestled under a blanket snuggling with my mom, on the steps of a little country church as the sun rose, listening to friends tell their story of how God came to be in their hearts and celebrating the true reason for Easter!

As I opened my blog dashboard this morning, I went about catching up on some of the blogs that I frequent. I stopped by to see what Becky has been up to, and was struck with her post about the gift of an ordinary day. Of course...I sobbed. So many things that I take for granted, and sometimes even find annoying, (packing a snack bag...even if we're just going to town, no-leak cups that ALWAYS leak, a bathtub full of non-bath toys) will be gone in a blink of my eyes. So, I've decided that in order to help myself remember these long days that will soon become only memories, I've decided to try to do a post every now and then about things that I think are ordinary, but I know I'll want to remember.

  • Jackson got a big boy bed and LOVES it.
  • A load of fresh laundry just came out of the dryer...full of little boy clothes.
  • I have mud on my floor and piles of dirt on my porch.
  • I begin every morning telling my husband and son "Goodmorning, I love you!" And...I smile when I hear in a quiet little whisper, "Goodmorning Mom, I wuv you too."
  • When Jackson brushes his teeth, he says, "aww" for me to get the back teeth, and "eee" for me to get to the front ones.
  • I get easily frustrated when he poops in his underwear, but knows how to go in the toilet.
  • There are constant crumbs under my table.
  • My couch has slobbers, snot, and food remnants all over it.
  • My fridge is decorated with animal magnets and daycare art that he is so proud to bring home and show us.
  • Jelly sandwiches have become his new favorite food.
  • The wonder of bubbles to a little child...
  • Dinosaurs--I need not say more. Is there anything cooler?
  • Jackson finds joy in helping me do most any chore.
  • "TV" is now considered cartoons or a cartoon DVD.
  •  Our living room floor is covered in toys, and some days, I don't even bother picking it up before bed.
  • DIRT.
  • "I'm getting a big brother!" (Good thing the daycare ladies knew that he was actually going to BE the big brother!" :)
  • The waves and blown kisses I get each morning out the window of his daycare, as I leave for work, and the excited, running, arms-wide-open hug I get when I come to pick him up.
  • "You have a good day, Mom?" on the day that I felt defeated.
  • His love for his daddy.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read Becky's post yet, because yours showed up first in my reader...but I have been having these same thoughts lately. In fact, I was just telling some friends who were out at the house today that I have had to learn to meet Preston in the middle with my expectations, because all too soon he will be gone and I will be wishing for dirty laundry on the floor and books piled so high on the bed he can't get in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry EVERY STINKING time I watch that video, especially when she talks about the teenagers. "You learn to text, and to pray."
    I about came unglued when I picked up ANOTHER set of dirty crunchy socks just sort of flung in the middle of the living room..and then I stopped myself. I bet I miss those dirty socks someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Yes, it's fun to just let them be what they are, no matter what the house looks like, or what plans are, just be in the moment. This will pass all too soon.

    ReplyDelete