In the last post, I left you all hanging at the end of 2006. So I will begin at the beginning of 2007, and tell you all how I came to be "Mrs. Snyder."
I feel I must warn you as some of the content in this post is rather gruesome. You know...cowboy life isn't always pretty.
I started my second semester of college at Pratt that January. I was living in the dorms, and enjoying my private room. No, I didn't ask for it that way, but it worked out rather nicely that it was the only room they had available for someone like me that wasn't on athletic scholarship! The 45 minute drive to see Toby was great too. We saw each other several times a week, and then of course on the weekends too. I was all set to apply to nursing school for the fall semester. Anatomy & Physiology was one of my classes that semester, and I remember evenings and nights sitting in the pickup flipping note cards while Toby and his brothers were checking heifers, pulling calves, and waiting on calves to be born. One particular evening, we ended up having to take a heifer to the vet because her calf was a "curly" calf, and couldn't come out on its own or be pulled. (I'm not exactly sure of the proper terminology for the disease that did this to calves, but it's what we refer to it as. The calves aren't formed correctly and are very deformed. They grow to full grown size, but aren't alive when time to be born.)Now if you know the Snyder boys, you know that it wasn't just a quick decision that we were going to take her to the vet. It was freezing cold outside, the boys had all worked and worked trying to get that calf out. Meanwhile, I was warm and toasty in the pickup with some rather cold beverages...in my nice clothes, because it was date night! Anyway, we took the poor heifer over to the vet, and they had to cut the calf up inside of the heifer in order to get it out of her. All was going on as planned, until the vet pulled the head out and dropped it at my feet. I thought, "Ughh. Don't look down...don't look down!" Another, "I must really love this guy" event! So, Toby and I enjoyed a nice quick shop burger for our date that night!
I wish I could say that I remember the exact day that Toby and I first talked about getting married, but truth is--I really can't. All I can tell you is that we both knew we were going to get married; we just didn't know when. We could wait and have a long engagement, and find me a nice house to rent in Pratt, or we could get married that summer and rush around to plan it all before I started nursing school that fall. Bet you can guess what we chose--we started planning for a summer wedding! He "officially" asked me to marry him one afternoon after waking me up from a nap. Got down on his knee right beside the bed, punched me in the shoulder, and said, "hey, wanna be my bride?" Ok, so not quite, but you get the picture. We set the date for August 11th, 2007.
I had to start my nursing school orientation the week of our wedding...yeah, not so convenient. Good think my mom knew what I wanted! I'm a simple person, so we had a simple wedding. It was wonderful. Our families put a lot of work into it, and we had a fabulous wedding and fantastic after-party! 

We honeymooned in Oklahoma City and then Amarillo, Texas. I had to start school the next week, so we stayed close to home. Does it really matter where you go? ;)
Now you know the Toby-Megan saga...don't you feel enlightened?
Thanks for sharing your story, Megan - it was really interesting!
ReplyDeleteIt was a great after party. Only the super cool couple honeymoon in OKC. I should know, that's where we went.
ReplyDelete