This post is merely a question to you all.
Have you ever revisited your reasons for choosing the career you chose?
Have you ever wondered if you would've been better at another career?
And have you ever scolded yourself for even thinking such a thing when you spent years working to become what you are now?
No, I'm not trying to tell you that I hate being a nurse, and that I wish I would've never gotten into the field. I've just been thinking lately about the advantages of one career versus another. All my life I've loved little children, and I always knew I would follow in my mother and grandmother's footsteps and become a teacher of young, impressionable souls. But one day I decided that I might not be cut out for teaching, and I decided to work as a CNA at the local nursing home, and I discovered a passion for another impressionable soul--the elderly. This is when I began studying the world of nursing and all that it had to offer.
Long story short--I guess you all know which career path I chose.
I chose nursing because sick people need a friend, an advocate, sometimes just someone to listen, and sometimes they need someone to lay it on the line and tell them what they have to do. I chose nursing because I wanted several days off to spend with my family. I chose nursing because I wanted the ability to go anywhere I wanted. I chose nursing because even healthy people need a good nurse. I chose nursing because I could help someone die with dignity, and help someone come into the world with joy. I chose nursing because a hospital is still a hospital--even on holidays, and those days are special to patients too. I chose nursing because life is a fragile thing.
I didn't choose nursing because of the long nights away from my family. I didn't choose nursing for the confrontations with patients who don't get their way. I didn't choose nursing for the overworked attitude that we assume. I didn't choose nursing to take the wrath of someone else's laziness. I didn't choose nursing because of the special things and holidays I will miss with my children and family. I didn't choose nursing for the "he said/she said" gossip. I didn't choose nursing to pretend like I know all the answers.
So you see, I am not wishing I was not a nurse. I'm simply just a little hung up on the "didn't" aspect right now, and wondering all the reasons I didn't think teaching was for me.
Kolby Reid
16 years ago
Megan, there have been many nights in my life when I have laid awake and wondered "why did I spend 3.5 years getting a business degree and am not using it?" At least you have reasons for why you chose nursing over teaching. I look back and realize now that I chose business because I had NO idea who I was or what I wanted to do and this was the "safe" choice! I am glad you choose nursing because we need good nurses in this community! There are people like me, who could definitely NOT do it...too many bodily fluids for me! I hope we don't need your services at the hospital but I am glad to know you are there if we do need to be there! And remember you are extra hormonal right now due to baby and you are just a few clicks and classes away from changing your career path down the road if you decide to. I never imagined I would entertain the thought of teaching, but after substituting I now realize it would have been the perfect outlet for my creativity and my love for "tweens"! One day maybe?
ReplyDeleteOkay, long comment! LOL! Maybe I need to write my own blog post on this same topic, from my perspective. You have a great perspective on your job, so keep your head up!
You know, I think that sometimes God only lets us THINK we have choices. Really, there was no choosing. . .HE knew that he wired you with the intentions that you would be a nurse and take care of His people in some of their neediest times. You only THOUGHT that you chose--God had your plan long before you did!! I realized years ago that I wasn't in control. . HE IS. And once I figured that out, things went alot better and a lot smoother. Teaching has the same negative aspects that nursing has, just a little different. They still hit your nerves just the same. Just keep asking and LISTENING. . He won't steer you wrong! (P.S. did I ever tell you the story about how I got back to school to earn my current degree??? Funny story I'll share with you sometime, long story short, God allowed me to dwell on working Mond-Friday, no night shifts, and getting to wear cute clothes--I loved dressing up, much different than scrubs! Yeah, sounds great, sign me up. I know you are laughing about that now!! My clothes aren't cute at 3 a.m. are they!! We aren't supposed to know the "Big plan" we are simply called to LISTEN and BE OBEDIENT. Besides, you can't drug kids to shut them up in school, it is illegal :-)
ReplyDelete