Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August

It's August now...in case you didn't know. I would love to say that our August has been great, but so far, it's been a whirlwind.

Good news:

1. We got to go on the 1st to see our new house all framed up and ready for siding and drywall.


 The porch and roof peak will be finished once it gets to our site.

2. I turned 24.

3. The Snyder/Woolfolk boys got 4th in Lewellen, NE. They were one drop of milk away from winning 1st and an Amarillo World Championship birth!

Bad news:

We spent the night of my birthday (the 4th), the 5th, and part of the 6th in the Pratt Hospital with our little Jackson. He was in bad shape on Saturday...and I didn't realize how bad he felt until he wouldn't ride the fire truck with his Uncle Tylyn after the parade that morning. After attending neice Emma's 1st birthday party that night, we headed for home early and he was radiating heat by then--even with Tylenol on board. I had taken him to the clinic on Friday afternoon, thinking his low fever was his ears since he is getting back molars right now. Saturday, he kept going downhill...and by 10:00 that night, I knew we weren't going to be staying at home for long. He was resting on the couch, and he would wake up with a blank stare and pick at the air as if trying to grab something. He was panting with very labored breathing, and his little heart was racing. I took his temperature and it was 103.9 under his arm. By the time we got to Pratt to the ER, his rectal temperature was 104.7 and climbing. He was given Motrin and after 2 hours, his temp finally went down to 100.7 Thankfully, the PA that we saw called his primary doctor and they quickly decided that he needed to be in the hospital on an IV and antibiotics. An IV getting placed in your dehydrated almost 2-year old is next to the end of the earth, in case you were wondering. I thought I would vomit...and I would have if I could've gotten off the table. We finally got to our room around 3:00 AM, and thankfully, he went right to sleep. His labs were all okay, and they still couldn't find a cause for his high fevers. Sunday morning, his Dr. came to se us and told us that we needed to do a chest xray because nothing else was showing up. I just knew it wasn't pneumonia, because his lungs were clear and he was breathing much easier after his fevers were down...but we did it anyway. He told us that we were not going home until he could drink adequately and keep his fevers down. Monday morning, when he made rounds, we finally got a diagnosis of Viral Pneumonitis, which meant that it just has to run it's course and we'll do antibiotics to prevent it from turning into a bacterial pneumonia. As long as he can keep drinking fluids and keep hydrated, we are home! 

A hospital sure wears ya out...and being "mom" wears you out even more! Not my favorite birthday present...don't think I'll turn 24 again. :) 

1 comment:

  1. =( I'm so sorry Jackson was so sick. Hospital stays are exhausting! Hope he's feeling better! Wow! It seems progress is happening fast on your house! I bet it seems to be taking forever on your end, though!

    ReplyDelete